Sunday, 8 April 2007

Just as an addendum to my last post, I'd like to point out that I do realise that some people might not want to live in the north east (shock, horror, etc). anxious had some good points in the comments, and
there's always the very good point of 'it just won't suit some people'.

I used to live in Yorkshire. Now, the place I lived was perfectly nice, and I had a nice flat (a lovely flat actually that I still miss to this day). I had friends and I should have been happy.

But I wasn't.

I never settled there. I was never really happy all the time I lived there, and it took me years to realise that it just wasn't home for me. No criticism of the place or me, I just didn't belong there. Contrast that with when I moved here. The first time I visited, I got off the train and it just felt like home. When I arrived here, fresh faced with all my belongings fitting in the back of my parents' car, there were no nerves at all (not like my poor parents!) - I couldn't wait to see what the city had in store for me.

I realise that to some people, Newcastle and surrounding area will be like Yorkshire was for me. And that just because Newcastle is my home, that doesn't mean that everyone will feel that way. It has problems too - our health is shockingly bad, our crime rate isn't great, it's colder than the south, it's far away if your family is down south, public transport (while cheaper than running a car) isn't cheap... I could go on but I'm feeling uninspired this morning.

Newcastle isn't perfect. But for me, the benefits outweigh its problems. It's still home.

No comments: