Monday, 21 May 2007

Cranes

I don't know much about the shipyards.

One of my friends from work used to work there. And I've seen photos of North East streets that go down to the river with enormous ships just at the end of the road. I can only imagine what it used to be like when the shipbuilding days were in full swing.

When I first moved to the North East, I occasionally used to get the metro out to the coast. And I always used to hate going past the cranes and industrial landscapes of the shipyards on either side of the river.

But somewhere along the way, that changed. They just became part of the landscape. And sooner or later, they are going to disappear. The ground will be sold off and used for something else (God save us, though, from more executive riverside flats). And now? I'm going to miss them when they go.

No comments: