Sunday, 13 May 2007

Geordie weekends

I'm getting on with my course.

Of course, with it being a writing course, I'm doing a lot of writing as part of it. All my observations are going into my notebook, so there's less going round in my head to go here. But I do enjoy writing this, so I'm going to try and make the effort to write here.

Anyway. At least I'm working on it. Although right now I am stuck on one of the exercises and have been since Friday. I'm going to do it before bed though, just to get the damned thing out of my hair.

I went into town yesterday afternoon. My haul was: 3 books (one for me, one for D, one for my friend whose birthday was yesterday), D's prescription, 1 bag of mushrooms, some wrapping paper, a bag of porridge oats and a sosmix roll. Packaging from this: two plastic bags and two paper bags. It would only have been one plastic bag if I'd remembered to say no to the bag for one of the books, and one paper bag if I'd remembered to say no to the paper bag my sosmix roll came in (shockingly it came in a plastic bag wrapped in a paper bag from the healthfood shop that now charges for new carriers and will only give out reused ones for free). Not hugely great for packaging, but a lot better than it could have been.

I took a short cut through the place where the goths and hippie kids gather at Old Eldon Square. (The link is a bit out of date but it gives the general flavour.) I've never been one to hang around there, even when I was a student and could have got away with it - in those days it was more students than teenagers that gathered there.

It didn't used to be too unfriendly for any 'normal' people who might have been wandering through. But I was hyper aware of the fact that I was looking very normal. Even though I was listening to Nine Inch Nails as I was walking past.

It got me thinking, so here, for your reading pleasure, is a list of things that you wouldn't know about me from looking.
  • I love goth, rock, metal music. I've mentioned it before, but it's worth mentioning again: if I spend too much time listening to 'normal' music, I get antsy and nervous and don't feel like myself.
  • I'm married. Technically, my wedding ring would probably give this away, but if my hands were behind my back? I don't think I look married. I don't feel old enough to be married. I kept expecting someone to stop the ceremony, realising there'd been a huge mistake.
  • I'm a feminist. I don't know what a feminist looks like, but I don't think it's me.
  • I'm very short sighted. But I wear contacts, so unless you look very closely, you won't realise. I wish I'd realised my mum had a point when she told me off for reading under the covers (not even just in the dark!) after my bedtime. But it was worth it for those extra minutes with the Famous Five.
  • That I'm not as confident as I usually look. Sometimes you can see through it. But usually I look as though I'm fine, even when I'm falling apart with nerves.
  • That I'm a not-really vegetarian (ie I eat fish). Again, though, I don't know what a veggie person looks like. And noone makes t shirts for that.
This is fun. I think I'd like to find out this about other people, so I'm making this into a meme, just because I can. I'm going to tag anx and Loria. Cause noone else reads this regularly ;) Tell me 5 things that people wouldn't be able to tell from looking at you.

2 comments:

Anxious said...

Ooh, I'll have to have a think about that...

Anxious said...

Done!