Imagine you go out to play and look down towards the river. Imagine a giant ship rising out of the river, dwarfing your street, your house, you. This gives some idea of what it must have been like.
I wrote a little while ago about shipbuilding. Yesterday I saw that the cranes are being dismantled. Some are being packaged up and sent to India, while some are just being scrapped. The smallest ones are going first, which will make the loss of the last ones all the more poignant.
- the removal of the cranes,
- the demolition of the Brewery and the development of Newcastle Science City that will follow,
- the demolition of Wellbar House on Gallowgate and the building work going on next to it (see the last photo here),
- rumours of the development of the football ground and new conference centres,
- the blessed hole where Westgate House used to be,
- the renovation of the Tyneside Cinema,
- the demolition of the Library and its rebuilding,
- the rumoured redevelopment of Haymarket Metro station,
- the new Northumbria university buildings on the site of the old Warner cinema at Manors....
I hope that all the new developments live up to their promise.