Sunday, 16 September 2007

minor frustration

I just went for a run. Came back, measured it on google earth. 9.94 kilometers.

Wish I'd measured it before I went out. I'm sure I could have managed an extra 60 metres.

I'm quite impressed with myself in one way, but terrified in another. The Great North Run is now less than 2 weeks away, and I should be able to go twice that distance. Oh well; things conspired against me. If I need to walk to get to the end, I'll walk. It's all in aid of a good cause.

Anyway, I always seem incapable of training properly before I do a new distance of race. It's only after I realise I'm physically capable of running it that I seem mentally capable of preparing properly. This is contradictory and not sensible, and I hope I can change it with time, but for the minute it just seems to be how I work. Strange, eh?

9 comments:

pierre l said...

Well I hope your run/walk goes well on the day. What are you raising money for, and is there a mechanism for sponsoring you (while preserving you anonymity, of course)?

b said...

Thank you! I'm raising money for the Children's Foundation - see here http://www.thechildrensfoundation.co.uk/

There is no way to sponsor me and for me to stay anonymous. If you'd like to sponsor me, though, email me (address on the right) and we can sort it out. Alternatively if you're on facebook I can friend you on there? link is on there too. I just ask that if I ever become notorious, you don't sell me out ;)

pierre l said...

I have found a way to sponsor you indirectly, as per the private message I sent. Have a good run on the day, but please be careful.

Imperatrix said...

Yes! Have fun, but be careful. I just read another runner and she tore her meniscus during a run. Yikes!

b said...

Tore her meniscus?! That's horrible! *shudders* I will be careful and if necessary i will walk rather than run. if absolutely necessary i will stop, but we will see.

And thanks again pierre. hope you have received my email.

pierre l said...

Yes indeed, thanks for the e-mail. I will send you a test private message from another address tonight to see whether that gets classified as spam as well. And I notice you've changed Clare's address as per my previous e-mail.

b said...

Yes, thanks for pointing that out :) had completely forgotten!

Anxious said...

I'm always too scared to attempt a distance in a race if I haven't done at least that in training. Best of luck and, like others have said, be careful. I'm sure you know to respect your body's limits...

b said...

anx, you are far more sensible than me. i always *plan* to run further than the distance of the race, but i seem to have some kind of mental block for actually just doing it dammit. ALthough the chest infection kinda scuppered me this time.....

i do seem to have managed to hurt my knee slightly (feels OK apart from hurting when i walk down stairs) so have had a compression bandage on all day and will give it an extra day's rest after it is no longer painful.