Thursday, 18 October 2007

I didn't think they'd be that good

I mean, they're a good band and everything, so I didn't expect a bad night from Editors. I just didn't expect them to be utterly fantastic. And one of the best bands I have ever seen in my life. I mean, it wasn't even the first time I saw them live. They supported Franz Ferdinand when we saw them... Christ, must be almost two years ago now. Scary.

The music stayed with D after that gig, and we got the album in the sales of Christmas 05, but I've never really chosen to listen to them much myself. But when I saw they were playing, I knew D would want to go, and I booked us tickets. I think I did offer for him to take his uncle (who heavily influenced his taste in music when he was growing up), but he decided to take me instead.

I've been listening a bit more to the second album, An End has a Start - mainly because of the first single, Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors. But I still wasn't all that bothered about going.

Till we were there, and they came out onto the stage.

I have never seen a band with so much energy. Tom Smith could not keep still for a nanosecond. It was like the music could not be contained in his body, amazing to watch. Ed Lay kicked the complete crap out of his drumkit. I mean, normally I'm all about the bassists in bands (... I can't explain that) but here, it was all singer and drummer. Chris and Russell were fab too, don't get me wrong, but they were calmer.

The air cracked with the electricity flooding all round the place. The pure white strobe for Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors? Perfection. Utter perfection.

I love music. I can't imagine living without the shivers that certain chord combinations send down my whole back, centrered round my spine. You could tell that this band are the same.

I don't care how good the next single is, its B side utterly, totally, absolutely kicks its arse. I don't even know what it's called, but I need to own it, soon. (Wikipedia tells me it's called Banging Heads. I need it. It made me mosh, for the first time in years.)

If I was Edith Bowman, I would be paranoid about Tom. I think he's having an affair with his keyboard. He climbed all over it, leapt off... he owned the whole stage.

D summed it up when he said they sounded fresh. Like it was the first night they'd played, not the 18th night since the tour started with only a handful of nights off since. And they were so appreciative of the energy in the place.

I've never been to a gig with so much spontaneous clapping.

I'm kinda hoarse, and my hands are sore.

Worth. Every. Penny.

Anyone who doesn't like Editors needs to explain themselves in the comments. Like, right now.

No comments: