Friday, 16 May 2008

I love words.

I'm polishing my last but one assignment for submission; trying to lose another 76 words to bring me within the correct word count and make sure all the words are polished and correct. (I noticed that on the second line I had misspelled 'cheeks' as 'checks'. That has got through about a million drafts and at least three other readers, and obviously the spellchecker wouldn't pick it up, so I'm being supercareful.)

Anyway, I just looked up 'rucksack', to make sure it was totally definitely right. And what do I see but the derivation of the word? It's German, and I love German. Rücken is German for back (ruck is German dialect); Sack German for bag. Rucksack = back bag.

I love words. Languages. Cross fertilisation.

Back to the grindstone for now, though.


6 comments:

Caroline said...

Have you finished yet? :)

x

B said...

I have. I am so relieved :) I have had the confirmation that it got through with 25 minutes to spare, and I ended up with 4 words under the absolute maximum. Considering that I started out with about 700 over, about 1/3 too much, I think I did VERY well :)

It's aimed at Mslexia and I plan to revise and submit it once I get my mark back with my tutor's feedback. Wish me luck! xx

Cassie said...

B, If you ever need a proofreader, i'd be glad to help you out. I'm actually pretty good at it and I was editor of my undergraduate writing chapbook.

Also, my roommate just happens to be an intern at Mslexia starting in a couple of weeks!

B said...

*makes note* thanks for that Cassie, it's good to know!

REALLY?!?!?!?!!!??!?!?!?! I am sooooooooo jealous of your roommate!!!!! I entered the poetry competition too. God I would love to work there.

pierre l said...

Well done on getting your assignment in on time. I hope your tutor loves it. And good luck with Mslexia afterwards; it would be really nice to read something of yours that has been published!

B said...

Thanks pierre. If my piece is printed, I will be shouting it out from the rooftops so everyone can buy a copy :)