Wednesday, 27 August 2008

Books books books.

I've been trying to work out which of these to do first. But I can't. So I'll just do a three-pronged post instead.

Everything You Ever Wanted by Rosalind Wyllie

I couldn't stop reading this.

Seriously. It's written in short chapters that race along at a rate of knots. Whenever I tried to stop reading, I would think 'oh, just another chapter'. Three hours later I'd still be there. When I finished, I just wanted there to be more.

It's 1991 and that bloody Bryan Adams song is everywhere. Tiggy and Scarlett both work at Mario's, a hostess club in Mayfair. Scarlett's got a plan; Tiggy's just coasting. Then their paths cross, with results that neither of them would have predicted.

I can't say everything I want to without giving away the ending. You'll have to buy it to find out!

It's a great book. Buy it from amazon, or get it with Being Normal by Stephen Shieber for just £10 direct from Tonto. It's a great deal!

Being Normal by Stephen Shieber

Another fab book (but then, if they weren't, I wouldn't bother telling you about them, would I?). This is a collection of short stories. Publishers say there is no market for short story collections. I say they're wrong. That if they only published short story collections and promoted them properly, they would outsell novels. I mean, why wouldn't they? If people have less and less time for hobbies, including reading, then surely short stories are the perfect answer. Dip in and out, depending on the time you have.

Anyway, I digress.

I tried to do a proper review at amazon. But what I really wanted to say was that I fell a little bit in love with Goth Boy of the title story, Being Normal. My jaw dropped open at A Public Display of Clairvoyance. My heart broke at Solitary Pursuits.

I cried at Don't Try This At Home.

I can't wait to see what either of these two authors come up with next.

Buy it from amazon or from Tonto (link above). But buy it. Buy both of them.

And finally, Disraeli Avenue by Caroline Smailes
I've already reviewed this book. I still think it's every bit as fantastic as I did back then. I have a printed-out copy from the ebook; I'm getting an exciting and incredibly rare paperback version; and I've already pre-ordered the hardback.

I'm not normally this obsessive.

To tell you why I care so much, I'll quote from the author herself.

"
This novella will be published as a limited edition of 500 hardback books and all 500 books will be signed and numbered."
(Only 500! So don't hang about, OK?)

"The pre-order will be available direct from bluechrome at only £10 and this book will arrive before Christmas, being dispatched on December 01 2008 (the ideal Christmas present!). All books remaining after the pre-order will have an official release on January 15 2009 (the actual RRP will be £12.99).
(And it's cheaper if you order it now, too!)

"Most importantly, all profit from the sale of Disraeli Avenue will go to One in Four the organisation run for and by people who have experienced sexual abuse."

(And at the end of the day, this is the most important reason why you should buy it. And if you buy early, direct from bluechrome, more of the profits will go to One in Four.)

Please buy this excellent book. Please spread the word.

Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

SpiralSkies said...

I'm looking forward to reading the first two, having already read Disraeli Avenue. But I will still have to invest in a proper bound copy of DA; my ringbound, printed-out on a clapped out printer simply doesn't do it justice.

Sod the credit crunch; there's always money for books and wine eh?

Caroline said...

Thanks honey.

I must admit that I'm thrilled people are buying DA. I'm not thrilled for me, but for the charity. It's huge for them.

I am not looking forward to signing 500 books, perhaps I should get a stamp made (joking! joking!) :)

x

Stephen said...

I think you identified my four favourites in the whole collection. It's nice to know that Goth Boy is making his way in the world. Thanks for enjoying the book so much and for plugging it whenever you get a chance.

I've just ordered my copy of DA and I'm hugely excited about receiving it!

Stephen x

B said...

Jen, YES. Always money for books and wine.

Cas - what about using that as an incentive to buy early? If you pre-order, you get a genuine sig. If no, just a stamp. Would work for me!

Aw Stephen, I really like that I picked out your faves! The whole book is excellent, but they were the ones that touched me the most. No prob about the plugs... I'll let you do the same for me in a few years if you like :)

watching9987 said...

All three: Mint.

NOt that I've actually read DA - But I've ordered it and am very confident in Caroline's ability to be muchos impressive with her mintioso prose stylings.

Homophones kick ass. Yes, you heard right: Kick All Ass

B said...

Yar!

So there.

:o)