Now I have a huge huge list of things that I'd like to visit and see and do over the next two days. Literally seventeen places that I'd like to get to over two days. It's probably as well that I didn't look earlier, as if I had had time to actually book some of these things in advance... it probably would have been thirty or forty things. The insides of the Tyne Bridge? The Baltic? The Swing Bridge motor room? Jesmond Old Cemetery - including the catacombs under Newcastle? I can't believe I'm missing all these things!
And I've only looked at Gateshead, Newcastle and North Tyneside; if I'd let myself look at South Tyneside or Gateshead... well who knows where that would have ended.
Some of them I've seen before (Dance City; the Baltic) and some I could see anytime, although I'd maybe have to pay. But the lure of seeing these places for free... and the lure of getting into areas I'd not normally be able to get into... it's delicious.
I know it's rather late, but I'm going to list the things I want to do below. If you'd particularly recommend one, or if you think one will turn out to be rather dull... well let me know sooner rather than later. Because apparently I'll be out rather early in the morning.
- The Sage Gateshead (I think I'll leave this one off; you can go in anytime, right?)
- Alderman Fenwick's House
- Bessie Surtees' House
- The Biscuit Factory (I think I'll do this one some other time, too)
- Cathedral Church of St Nicholas
- Central Square and Central Square South
- Dance City (I've been here many times before, but just can't resist the idea of getting to see places that aren't usually open to the public)
- Castle Keep (I could go anytime, but it's freeeee!)
- Friends Meeting House
- Holy Jesus Hospital (I'm really keen to do this - but apparently it's only a couple of quid to do the guided tour normally, so maybe I'll leave this one out. But then there are parts open that aren't normally open. Aaargh!)
- Literary and Philosophical Society
- Newcastle Brewery Offices (a link defeated me for this)
- Newcastle Civic Centre
- St Mary's Lighthouse (I might leave this one out, just because it's only open in the mornings and it's the opposite way to nearly everything else. But... I kinda really want to, and not just because Cas really wants to see one right now.