Monday, 1 September 2008

A writing group

I've finally found a writing group that meets near me in the evening.

I've been looking for one for a while (I even emailed a load of writerly people I met at a Mslexia focus group to find out a) if there were any out there or b) if anyone was interested in setting one up) but not got anywhere.

But tonight I finally got to one.

It wasn't quite what I expected, though. I kinda thought that one of the points of joining a writers' group was to get feedback on what you've written. There was none of that. In fact, if I hadn't asked the leader, I don't think we would even have told each other our names (....! I was hoping to hear how long people had been going to the group, what their experience was, what they were interested in, but all we got was a list of names that I'll never remember as I have no details to hang them on). Instead, we were given details of this month's competition and two sheets of prompts; we wrote for 20 minutes or so from one of the prompts, then read out our stories. Afterwards, we could each read out something that we'd brought along, and the leader gave us a card with the website for the group on.

It didn't work.

I did enjoy it, don't get me wrong. But I'd expected something more.

Anyway. I quite liked what I came up with. So I thought I'd post it. I will put it in its own post though. Feel free to post feedback in the comments - or not. It's not something I've revised or edited at all, but I hope you enjoy it.

7 comments:

Cassandra said...

Did you ask me? I would have liked that.

Lane said...

Two sheets of prompts!? I'd have spent all evening deciding which one to use:-)

Looking forward to reading your piece.

B said...

Cassie, no. I wish I'd thought to, but I think it was before I found out what course you were doing and that you were a writer. And now you are leaving and it's too late :(

Lane, of the prompts, she narrowed it down to using one sheet; specifically, one of the four sets of words. Once you had chosen the set, you had to work in the three words. I couldn't stop at three and used five of them. I nearly used 'clock' as well, but decided that would be going a bit far :)

Hope you enjoy it!

Cassandra said...

Ah, oh well. Hope you find one that suits you, if this one doens't work out.

And if you ever have an inkling to set up an online critique group, i'm in.

B said...

Thanks cassie - i will def be keeping that in mind :)

Kate.Kingsley said...

Gah ~ that sounds like just the sort of writers group that makes me a bit scared of writers groups!

Shame it didn't 'take off' for you.

B said...

Are you in a writers' group Kate? Any interest in setting up an un-scary one, or are we too far from each other??

It wasn't really scary, anyway. If anything it wasn't scary enough :) I was expecting to feel intimidated, and I.... didn't. That made me feel cheated. Oh well!