Wednesday, 1 October 2008

OK, it's time. I need a new office.

This place is home. This place is the view from my window. But now, this is where I write.

I need somewhere separate.

----

I also hope that those who shouted taunts to this poor kid, that those who had nothing better to do with their afternoons than film footage of him jumping off a building, never sleep peacefully again. I know that some people can be evil, that crowds can sometimes provide protection for saying and doing things that you'd never normally do. But I still can't believe what they did. And I'd rather live in a world where I find such things hard to believe than be able to expect them.

I didn't know the boy, but it still hurts that one of the last things he heard was people taunting him, telling him to jump. I know he made the choice; I understand informed consent, but who knows if they tipped him over the edge - almost literally.

-----

update: Cas's comment about the lack of heroism these days reminded me of this equally tragic story. It makes me want to cry that the crowd turned on this man and killed him.

It was a homeless man and his girlfriend that Frank McGarahan was trying to protect. Not someone that he had to stand up for; a friend, a family member... a work colleague. Just someone who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He tried to help, and he died for it.

What the hell is wrong with our society?

4 comments:

Lane said...

Buggers. Absolute thick buggers:-(

Caroline said...

I worry about the lack of heroism in our society. I am really upset about this news item.

x

trousers said...

It's just bloody horrible.

JafaBrit's Art said...

shrug! that is just horrendous, the poor boys family must be beside themselves. I really just don't get that kind of attitude, it's so callous.