Sunday, 15 March 2009

Memories

D and I first kissed in a club in Newcastle, on his birthday.

There's a whole backstory that I can't be bothered to tell right now. But outside the club, it was cold and raining and we were on our own. He put his hands in my pockets to keep them warm, and we both knew where it was going.

Inside the club, the friend who'd temporarily left to give someone else a lift home turned up again, but seeing what was going to happen and not wanting to get in the way, he disappeared sharpish.

That club, for those who were in Newcastle in the mid-late 90s, was the Riverside. The Riverside then went on to become Foundation; a different club, but that was OK, right?

We drove past the other day. It's now a Price Watch supermarket.

That makes me really, really sad.

9 comments:

lunarossa said...

Such lovely memories! Pity the old romatic location is now a boring supermarket... Well, the memories are still good, just forget the supermarket. Have a nice week. Ciao. A.

Calistro said...

Oooh nooooooooooooooo. I've got loads of memories of the Riverside too. At least I 'think' I have (memory of student days a bit hazy. Or should that be student daze?)

peaceableimperatrix said...

Such a lovely memory, but so sad about its newest reincarnation. Does this remind you about the Kinks? It does for me!

Kate.Kingsley said...

Aw, nice story :-)
Lots of my memories of the Riverside involve snogs too ~ but mainly not ones I'm especially keen to recall...

B said...

i tried to reply to this but firefox decided not to play ball and then i forgot :(

thank you all, anyway :)

Mosher said...

It was bad enough when it became a crappy dance club. Oh, some of the bands I saw at the Riverside when it was a *proper* club...

Hellbastard, Pearl Jam, Manic Street Preachers, Wolfsbane, Red Kross, Paradise Lost, etc etc. I have all my old tickets in a scrapbook somewhere.

Mosher said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! And Lawnmower Deth!

The Vintage Kitten said...

Oh the Riverside.....Memories! I saw Napalm Death (I kissed the lead singer Barney - how embarassing), Gwar, Hell Bastard, Killing Joke, Mega City Four to name but a few.........Those were the days X

Mosher said...

Killing Joke: yeah, saw MC4 there as well at least once! I caught GWAR at the bizarrely-named Middlesbrough Arena (it was smaller than the Riverside...) and more recently in Manchester. They're playing Wacken this year and I can't go :(