Thursday, 2 April 2009

memories

Today I went past a bus stop that I pass regularly. But something about the light, something about a girl standing there, something made me remember.

A morning, sometime in late winter or early spring 1997. Standing at that bus stop with D, after spending the night at his. Not that anything happened. We sat up nearly all night, talking with his friends and watching videos (ah, the olden days, before DVDs). During the course of the night, one of his friends told him that there were Cure t shirts being sold off for £1 in what was then Virgin, a deal that was still pretty impressive even in the 1990s. D was due to sign up for a college course the next morning, so decided to drop in at Virgin on the way.

At this point we were pretty much nocturnal. D, one of his friends (A, I think?) and I woke up after not enough sleep and made our way to the bus stop. The one I passed today.

The sun had not long since risen and the light was thin and white, highlighting trees and buildings. D blinked and looked up. 'Is it always this beautiful in the morning?' he asked.

I didn't know how to answer.

---

I don't know why all these old memories are suddenly floating to the surface.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

This is one of the things that I miss most about moving to England. I've lost all kinds of personal history like this. Walking by a lamppost and remembering things that happened a long time ago.

Jorgelina said...

Michelle, I totally understand what you mean. I haven't moved to England yet, but I guess that has to be the next step in my relationship - I'm from Argentina and my fiance is from England.
The funny thing for me - funny but hardly ever makes me smile, it rather gives me a sense of sadness around my throat and chest - is that I have ghost memories in both countries. When I've been in England, I've missed my city, my house, my streets, everything! But when I'm in Argentina I feel the urge to walk along certain streets of North Shields, see the blue sea in Tynemouth, sit by the Priory, take my favourite walk to St. Mary's Lighthouse and walk around the island if the tide is out. I feel torn.

B said...

Michelle, I'd be interested to know how many people of my generation ended up where they grew up/where they went to uni. I would wager not many. I think that most people don't get this so much any more. It's weird for me, because I was here at uni, then moved away, then moved back. BUT - I think it must be weirder for you (and Jorgelina) - England is England to a certain extent. It's not the same as the US.

Does England feel like home for you? What about the US?

My sister lives on the continent. I wonder whether she sees both places as home.

Jorgelina, it must be so hard being caught between two places like that. I've never lived anywhere else I really loved and felt entirely at home, so I don't get that kind of thing. The closest I've got is between the Newcastle I lived in before, and the Newcastle I live in now. They are not the same place. And it's weird.