Saturday, 10 October 2009

Obsessions

Dammit. I've been tagged. And I hoped noone had noticed that I'd disappeared....

I think everyone in the world has already done this (I'm really out of the loop recently), so I won't tag anyone, but if you've been left out and kinda sad that noone has noticed - then consider this your tag.

My obsessions.... hmmmm.

1. Reading. D was fascinated when he first visited my parents' house by the number of books everywhere. He wasn't used to a culture where reading is encouraged. Now, he's a worse bibliophile than me (word used advisedly - he keeps every book he's ever read, whether he liked it or not. I realise that if we both did that sooner or later we'd have to start camping in the garden so the books could stay dry). But I love reading, and although I go through phases when I don't read so much, I'm still the girl who couldn't go upstairs in my parents' house without sitting down to read on the stairs.

2. Music. Nine Inch Nails. Placebo. They're my current obsessions, but it's music generally. I never go a day without listening to something - in my head if nothing else. At the minute I'm listening to a certain kind of music - but I do listen to quite a range. My main criteria is passion. You need to mean what you're singing. Watching Trent Reznor sing live - now there's a man who means it. I can't believe he's giving up playing live *sob*

3. Lost. So shoot me - they can't all be deep and meaningful! D and I are currently on The Great Lost Re-watch. We're half way through Season 3 and will finish the whole lot before the last season starts. I'm loving it. How the writers can take such a flawed bunch and make the viewers care SO MUCH about what the hell happens to them - I'm in awe. The acting is mostly flawless, the twists and turns of the story walk just this side of believable, the scenery, the way they can have similar things happen from finale to finale (things blowing up! Locke in a box! Ben stabbing someone!) and still make it different and believable - it's amazing.

4. Writing. This would normally go higher up on the list, but I've been on a bit of a break recently. After the hectic pace I was going at before, it's only natural; but it's still weird.

I've been writing since I was about 7 or 8, on and off. I've flirted with the idea of taking it seriously in the past, but only recently been really working at it with any amount of consistency.

In a week where I've been dealing with a lot of rejection it's hard to keep going, to think that I really do have something worth saying. But - I've got to keep trying. Better writers than me have suffered more rejection. I need to keep writing, to keep reading, to keep improving. To keep learning.

I've got to keep on.

5. Photography. I'm really missing this one at the mo. My camera broke yonks back, and I've only just got round to getting it sorted out (I've got so much on at the mo - it's been hard to keep up with everything). But I love taking pictures, I love creating a record of the things I see.

My photography course started a week or so back. I haven't started yet. Typical. But I'm going to, this weekend. I'm not a great photographer, just a keen amateur that's sometimes lucky. But I want to improve. And there's always the photo site to keep me working.

That was really hard!

I am enjoying blogging again though. See y'all again soon.

4 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

I did this a while back too. I'm with you on no's 1,2 & 4.

B said...

The important things in life :)

Mike said...

Not noticed you've gone? I was getting withdrawal symptoms with nothing to read! Just recovering from the shakes! Now overdosing!

Mike

P.S. Have left you some upcomming festival links on the photo site, to give your new camera a workout! (or a meltdown!)

B said...

Ah, bless :) At least you still have the pics on the photo site :)

Too. Many. LIIIIINKS!!!! Head explodes!!!!