Sunday, 18 October 2009

Visitors, bands and new cars

I've had a great week. Even though I was back to work after a week off.

Loria came to stay with me on Wednesday for two nights. We hadn't seen each other for over eight years - since March 2001 when we met up in London and York. I've only been blogging here since March 2007, and before that I hadn't blogged for a while - but back in 2000-01 I was hugely active on the internet. I spent a hell of a lot of time on a Tori Amos forum and on a load of sites hosted at descending.net, and had a website at envy.nu/piecesofme and a blog-type-thing that's amazingly still out there. (Warning - it started out chatty and ended up political, just in case you're going to have a read.)

And Loria was visiting the UK. So we met up. And it was great. It wasn't like we'd never met before; it was like carrying on a conversation we just happened to have started by email. This isn't too surprising now, but back then - it was amazing.

We'd always said that sooner or later we'd meet up again. I've never had any money to go visit her, so Loria ended up getting over to visit me again. And again, it was just like carrying on that same conversation.

We went to see Editors on Wednesday night, and I took Thursday as leave and showed her round Newcastle. Grey Street, Monument, the Grainger Market, the Theatre Royal (where we had lunch), St James' Park, the Quayside, the Millennium Bridge... we spent hours wandering Newcastle. It was fab.

She left on Friday morning and I can't believe how fast the time went. I can't wait to see her again. I think maybe next time it's my turn to do the travelling :o)

And we got a new car on Wednesday too! New to us, not brand new, but still - a shiny new blue Ford Focus. We are temporarily a two-car family. It's a strange feeling.

How's your week been? Any exciting happenings?

1 comment:

trousers said...

Nice to meet up with people you've not seen for a long time and to get on so well, sounds like you had a great time.

I've yet to visit Newcastle, but the idea of spending much time wandering its streets does sound appealing.

In answer to the questions you pose at the end of this post, yes there have been things happening, including good things, but I'm too sleepy now to talk about them. I did want to stop by and say a cheery hello to you though :)