Monday, 21 December 2009

It's official: Borders is closing

I'm sitting in Starbucks (in Borders) at Silverlink right now. They just killed the music for one of the staff to do an impromptu little blues-y type number about how the store is closing tomorrow and how there's 70-80% off everything. Everyone in the store (including the Starbucks staff) stopped to listen, and applauded him at the end.

I can't believe it's actually true. I may have sounded flippant on the photo site when I called this kicking me when I'm down - but I really do mean it. At times like these, you cling to the familiar, to comforts that help you feel better, and this place is one of those. I know I'll find familiar faces on the shelves - both people I don't know and people I do (and many more, but if I start linking everyone we'll be here all day). I know I can plug in my netbook and sit with a coffee and write, or just sit here and peoplewatch or read. It's one of the things we do at weekends - D browses (and picks up endless piles of books - if everyone spent here like we did this would not be happening. Is that good or bad?) while I sit upstairs with a coffee and write, until he comes and joins me and grins, trying to hide how many books he has behind his back.

That's not going to happen any more. Waterstones is good, don't get me wrong, but it's not the same. It means a trip into town, and there's not a coffee shop inside.

If I was rich, I would totally buy this one shop (maybe along with those on Team Valley and in York) and make it work. Somehow.

Goodbye Borders. Weekends won't be the same without you.

3 comments:

artista povera said...

The thing that put me off about Borders was their insistence on being geared towards car-users. I'm not and the only bus service that got me there would drop me on a verge just before the drive-thru McDonalds or something. It put me off and I only got there three times in all. I loath car-focussed shopping, it's elitist and polluting.

pierre l said...

It is very sad indeed. I visited the Oxford branch (which was lovely) a couple of times, but the combination of a 60-mile journey along with the center of Oxford being very car-unfriendly meant that it wasn't practical (unless I was going to Oxford for another reason). I don't go into central London very often, so that was my nearest branch.
They had a fabulous selection of the American car magazines that no-one else stocks around here.
I hope you will find another writer-friendly branch of Starbucks.

B said...

Artista, I think that definitely varies! The Silverlink borders can be hard to access without a car, if you don't live near the route of the 309 or the R19. My bus doesn't take me as close as yours did, but it's only a ten minute walk from the bus stop - doesn't bother me at all. But the branch in York is (was!) impossible to approach but by foot - it's right in the middle of pedestrianised zone - and from what pierre says the same is true of Oxford.

the one in warrington was nigh on impossible to access without a car. that just doesn't apply to newcastle's branch i don't think.

pierre, i have another branch of starbucks i go to quite regularly, but it's just not the same :(