Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Does anyone know what's going on....

at the bottom of St Mary's Place?? I went past Luckies today and it's all boarded up! The picnic tables that've been outside for at least 16 years are gone. And the hairdressers next door is boarded up too, and it looked like the record shop round the back (Steel Wheels, I think?) seems to be boarded up too. Paris Texas has been gone for a while now, but it looks like all the bottom of that run of buildings are shut. What on earth is going on?????

---

When I came to Newcastle for university at the end of September 1994, we were given a book with our fresher's week stuff that had details about all the stuff to do in Newcastle. I remember a few details about it, and one thing that's always stuck with me was that back then, Luckies was the only place that had outside seating. In the whole of Newcastle. And then after I left, and after I came back, it was still there.

What's going on?!?!? Enquiring minds need to know!

4 comments:

C.A. Marshall said...

Seems like a fire :(

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/06/29/newcastle-office-blaze-man-hid-in-cupboard-72703-26747722/

I had my first ever vodka and Redbull there. I hope they can come back from it!

B said...

thanks cassandra. i can't believe it! luckies is one of the few constants in newcastle.

apparently the rumour is that wetherspoons might take over that whole run of buildings....

Shelley said...

I've heard recently that Weatherspoon's is going to build on that site!

GSoult said...

Yes, Wetherspoons have recently submitted a planning application for the old Luckies site: http://planningapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=L67LJIBS00D00

Interestingly, the proposed Wetherspoons takes in not just Luckies, but also the former HSBC bank and the buildings (Steel Wheels, etc.) between there and Vine Lane. So it will be a very large pub!